Friday, July 14, 2006

Scene Cap of the Day and Weekly Recap

"I couldn't decide if I wanted to surf it or if I was too scared."

I am telling you- watch the season finale of season 1 with the audio commentary, it's hilarious. When asked by Ron Rifkin (Sloane) why Vaughn didn't run when he saw the flood water gaining on Sydney, Michael Vartan (Vaughn) replied with the above quote! So funny!!

Ron also mentions that this scene disturbs him. It disturbs me! WHY DOESN'T HE RUN?! I don't understand. Is he shocked? Is he scared? Either way, when I first watched this episode, I thought Vaughn was done for. Thank goodness for the screwdriver!!

Moving on....
Yesterday I posted a scene cap depicting a very personal and real moment between Sydney and Vaughn in season 1. As I said, real life moments on Alias are few and far between. Paired with fantastic moments (like the red ball over Svogda and Vaughn being trapped in the flooded lab), the real moments strike a very emotional cord, with not only the characters, but the audience as well. Sometimes these scenes will be shown intertwined, for instance, when Sydney is sitting with Barnett, recalling her escape after being shot by her mother. The clips with Barnett are quiet and personal, designed to help Sydney open up about her feelings for her mother and Vaughn. The clips of her actual escape are designed to keep us interested, to explain- they are the technical part of the scene.

With the Favorite Awards deadline for season 1 today, I thought it would be nice to talk about some of our favorite real and personal moments from Alias and some of the fantastic scenes that are shown in juxtaposition. Can you name a few instances from any season where personal moments are shown back to back or intertwined with fantastic, outrageous moments?

Also, don’t forget- today is the last day to turn in your picks for the First Annual Let’s Talk Alias Favorite Awards. Check the categories in the below article and e-mail your entries to me. girlscout35@hotmail.com

CD’s are coming your way- have a great weekend and I will see you all on the flip side!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just loved any time where the scene cut to the front of Sydney's old apartment with the iron gates out front...the music became softer and more upbeat, and you knew there would be something mundane and every-day waiting for her there..watering her plants, playing Boggle with her friends, eating breakfast, things like that. I don't know if I could choose one moment, I just liked the juxtaposition of those scenes...one moment Syd is parachuting down from a mountain in Rio, the next she is eating cereal from Will's bowl in her kitchen.

Girlscout said...

Love it Sandi! You totally nailed it. I love those scenes, ohhh and the gated apartment! You just created the greatest visual- the music, the apartment was always softly lit and homey. Ohh, now I have to go back and watch season 1.

Also, I think that is why some of the later season were hard for people after watching seasons 1 and 2. No more normalcy, no more Will and Francie, drinking beers, out dancing. No more soft apartment shots with real life. I always loved hockey with Vaughn. That was always believable for me. I always figured Jen and Michael would actually go and play hockey together.

Anonymous said...

I hear you...there was so much less real life in Seasons 3-5, and that made them less enjoyable as far as I am concerned. The missions were still great (except Sovogda..my least favorite), but there was no downtime for Syd. There were some scenes with Nadia at the new apartment, but not as much as we got before, and even then, they talked a lot about work, about Sloan, and not about silly things like soap operas or Boggle. While JJ has proven himself capable of the big special effects and action moments, I really think he excels in the real life ones...just think Felicity.

Girlscout said...

Oh Sandi, it's people like you that keep me blogging about Alias. You are so right! Have you seen What About Brian? JJ's other show? SOOO good, you might be able to watch them on iTunes or Tivo.

Anonymous said...

I will check it out! I hate adding more shows to my 'Must Watch' list because I spend too much time in front of the TV as it is, but now that Alias is gone.....

Got a little choked up there!

SKlaft said...

It is a well-beaten drum, but I think it was the self-contained episodes that made even the occasional attempts at 'real-ness' seem a little contrived. When each episode connected directly with the following episode and we saw Sydney together with friends in real-world scenarios, it was like "this must be what her life is like when she is not out on a mission. Cool!"
-R.

SRM said...

I love in "Q&A" when Syd is in the car chase w/ the cops at the end and they keep flashing to Will and Francie watching the chase on TV and eating popcorn, that cracks me up. Also something they didn't do much after season 1 was have scenes where it seemed like Syd was narrating, but you find out she's talking to someone (usually Vaughn). There's one where she's talking about her dad picking her up and carrying her miles after she broke her leg, but while she's telling the story you see her lying in bed, then sitting up and reaching for the phone...the scene then cuts to her and Vaughn, so you know it was showing her making the decision to call him up. I guess I like when they mix the present dialogue or events with what's already happened, kinda like in the pilot w/ Taipai (sp?) and all the events leading up to it.

SRM said...

haha, yeah I love that part in the club too Liz. :)