Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cut the Tension with a Knife...

I am currently in the midst of re-watching season 3 on DVD, and somewhere between Syd returning from a 2 year loss, and the Korean mission in which Vaughn professes that there is only one love of his life, I realized what a hell of a season it was. I am in understanding that several fans had issues with season 3, mainly due to Vaughn’s nuptials with Covenant vixen, Lauren Reed, but in all actuality, it was that tension that made the season. Our beloved Mountaineer returns to CIA headquarters with a married ex-love, a father in prison, a friend in witness protection and a room mate doubled and killed. She fights her own feelings, she fights herself, kills herself and just as it seems Vaughn and Lauren’s marriage has seen its final days, Lauren goes and reels Vaughn back in by ousting her father. There is tension between Syd and Lauren, Lauren and Vaughn, Vaughn and Syd, Jack and Vaughn, Syd and Sloane, tension is crawling all over the rotunda and fueling each mission, sparking all out cat fights and verbal blow-ups. Here are several of the intense moments from season 3. Please feel free to post your comments or other moments of passion.

-Syd speaks her mind when Vaughn checks in on her, leading to the “You wanna know how I am? I’m horrible…” speech. Heartbreaker!
-Lauren and Syd get into a heated discussion on whether or not releasing Sark is a profitable idea. Lauren finds her “arrogant” and is sick of feeling sorry for marrying the man she loves. Urgh!
-Vaughn grabs Jack by the shirt collar when he and Lauren are held hostage in Mexico in order for Jack to murder Javier, who knows the truth about Julia Thorne. *My vote as the most intense moment of the entire season. I have never seen two men so adamant about protecting the women they love.
-Jack confronts Vaughn about Sydney being his “mistress” and instructs him to be distant and cruel, because Vaughn’s kindness is killing her.
-Sydney lets loose with a right hook to Lauren’s jaw when Lauren insists that Sydney beat her up in order to convince Lindsey they were being held captive by the Covenant. I think we were all waiting for that moment and all felt a little satisfaction.
-Oh, don’t forget the moment Will kills Alison in honor of Francie. Intensity in 10 cities!
-All I gotta say- “I hate you, but I love Sydney more and that’s why you’re not going to die tonight.” WOW!

Ahh, season 3, how we miss you. Alas, I think with the new characters and plot that season 5 will bring, we can see very much of the same tension. Sydney will be butting-heads (and stomachs) with several new characters this season, and I am certain we will see her fighting an internal struggle. How can she protect herself and her baby if she ain't the one doing the butt-kicking? How is she going to raise this baby "without a father" (hypothetically speaking) and what is going to become of the her spy life, her whole life, once this baby is here? She made it through season 3 folks, she will make it through this season and no doubt come out on top again!

6 comments:

Girlscout said...

Rene has been working with Vaughn because her father too was a member of Prophet Five. She has been trying to track them down to avenge her father's death. She will join Syd in bringing down the bad guy and I beleive she will become a part of APO.

I do find it interesting how they will work the parallel that Vaughn has known this woman all along, and that Rene obviously knew of Sydney. I can't wait to see how they play off each other.

Girlscout said...

Glad to have you Newropesaliasfan. Theorizing is my favorite past time if you hadn't noticed and I look forward bouncing ideas off of everyone.

SRM said...

grr, spamming on the net is so annoying, shame on you joe powel. :(

Anyway, glad that I'm not alone in thinking season 3 was really quite good. The more I rewatch it the more I like it. The writers did some great psychological twists in that season. Just when you start to like Lauren, you find out she's evil, that was such a great surprise, I can't believe I didn't see that coming! The tension was delicious, get out the knife and fork. :)

Girlscout said...

I am sure Sloane has something to do with Prophet Five. If it's Rambadli driven, then Sloane knows something and so does Irina. We found out in the opener that Jack knew Vaughn was being investigated as a double. Hmm, this is all going to come together and we are going to say AH HA! I get it!

M said...

Season 3 was truly great - I remember in the beginning of the season, fans were bummed because they didn't like the first few eps - JJ said "Just wait and you'll find that this might be one of your favorite phases"... and he was right, the season was amazing, and going back and watching the first few eps made you appreciate them. I never felt that way with season 4 - the first 2/3 of the season will never really be great episodes - even in hindsight. I think Season5 will be great again though - they are back to the old alias tricks.

amy said...

yep season 3 was WAY better watching it on the dvd - one of the reasons being there were a lot of long breaks in the episodes on air that season and it kinda became disjointed....but there is nothing like sitting on the couch for 9 hours and watching the season unfold to really catch the tension, drama, and the character development.....awesome