Thursday, December 15, 2005

Episode 5.09 "Horizon"

HOLY COW!
I think my head has stopped spinning so that I may articulate my observations about last nights episode. If I don't say it enough in the next couple paragraphs, I LOVED IT! By far the best episode of the season thus far and it can only lead to more! I LOVE VAUGHN, I LOVE IRINA! I LOVE ALIAS! Okay, I'm okay... oooh, I have a headache now.

I saw her reflection in the glass and I thought I was watching season 2 by mistake. SPYMOMMY is back!! Irina Derevko, played by the talented Lena Olin, returned to Alias last night in a WHAM BAM episode filled with all the goodies Alias has to offer. I don't even know where to begin...oh, yes I do...

THAT WAS NOT SYDNEY'S APARTMENT- The opening sequence with Sydney and Vaughn in the apartment had several clues that established that what was happening was not happening in reality. One- that was not Sydney's apartment. Though it was rather similar to her apartment, the lay-out of the kitchen and bathroom is different than what we have seen in past episodes. Writers will use similar props and sets during dream sequences to suggest that things aren't as they seem. For instance, when Will dreamt he told Francie all about the CIA, he was sitting at the dining room table drinking a glass of wine. At the time, Will was in AA and wasn't supposed to be drinking; that was a clue to tell us that what was happening was not indeed happening.

Jack and Syd hit up the hospital for a little baby birthing tutorial. I loved how Sydney said, "And this is where I will get the epidural right? Because I don't like pain." HAHA, I had to laugh. The woman as been tortured, shot by her mother, and rumbled with a room mate. COME ON! She lives for pain!

Okay, onto the grit! Vaughn's papers are stolen from high security storage byP5 gopher, Kelly Peyton. What a nasty girl!! APO is tasked to find out what exactly P5 needs from Vaughn's research and notes from his old SD-6 and Covenant missions. We come to understand that the bit of information P5 and Dr. DeSantis are looking for is the location of something called the Horizon. Whether this is a device or a manuscript, we cannot be sure, but I guarantee its Rambaldi related.

Jack sends Sydney to meet with Renee. Renee tells Sydney that there is nothing in Vaughn's old files that would be of use to P5. Perhaps that is because we, along with everyone else, don't know how far P5 reaches or apparently how far SD-6 and the Alliance reached. Sydney is then nabbed by two goons and whisked away in the standard kidnapping vehicle-a black windowless van! Aside, it occurred to me that Jack set in motion Sydney's kidnapping by sending her to meet Renee. Are you following me? I think Jack was in on it! I think Jack is working with Irina!!!As for the creepy baby room, obviously Irina has some issue with SpyGrandbaby. Perhaps a child by the Chose One is of value to P5. OHHHH, just had a thought, stay with me...

Perhaps Jack knew what P5 wanted from Vaughn. Perhaps he knew through Irina who was working with them. So, to protect Sydney and Vaughn, Irina put the "hit" on Vaughn and Jack set up his fake death. Now, Irina, who is obviously working for someone else, has to use Syd to play her game. Remember, she had to shoot Sydney in the shoulder to convince her employers she was loyal. This is the same thing. I think Irina is trying to stop P5...maybe even another evil sister...

Now, let the memories of Vaughn begin-

Hospital- A man, an orderly, comes into Vaughn's room and if you blinked, you missed him place the cup and straw on the table next to the bed. Remember, I mentioned in the premiere episode review that the cup and straw was a clue to Vaughn's fate. Whatever was in that cup put him in a coma did so to convince P5 he was dead. Moving on, Sydney then told Vaughn, "I gave this to you and then you crashed." She wasn't willing to give him a sip. She wasn't willing to lose him all over again. But Vaughn repeated, "They are using me against you. I need to go away." This ambiguous statement only lead me to believe that Vaughn is indeed alive; that faking his death and hiding away was in some way protecting Sydney.

Korean Prison- "We'll find each other, we always find each other." Ain't that the truth? Back in the dank, musty prison in Korea, Vaughn and Sydney share a moment with their baby. In the season 3 scene we understand the tension as being geared to wanting what you can't have. Sydney couldn't have Vaughn because he was married to Lauren, and in the scene last night, she couldn't have him because he was "dead." I loved how that played into Vaughn wanting to experience his child.

Micro-self Storage- Okay, the chain link fences were killing me! They took us way back to micro storage!! I heart micro-self storage! Sydney lays all her plans on the table. She wants to stop running, she wants to stop hiding. She doesn't want people to know who she is or what she knows. She wants to escape; she wants to go away with Vaughn to a deserted island. I was hoping she would plug Lost here, you know, "let's get lost on some island." No dice, but still a very honest scene. I suppose it reflects Jennifer's own need to move on, to live a happy, normal life away from the show and the razzi.

Pier- Um, why weren't they playing Sarah McLachlan? Come on, that is just as much a part of the scene as Sydney and Vaughn. Vaughn says, "You kept the darkness from taking over me. You are going to take these guys down." YES SHE WILL, so you can come back home safe and sound!!

Blood Van-In the van we do discover why Vaughn needed to go away. He had the name from the SD-6 map. The name on the map is something Vaughn must have known that P5 wanted and that they would come after him for that information. She gives them the name X-23 Norte. Is this a name, a code, location?

Beach- Standing on the sandy beach in their perfect place, Vaughn reveals that Sydney had given P5 the wrong name from the map. He said, "You gave them the wrong name, they will find out and I can't be here for that." Throughout the hypnosis Vaughn tells Sydney to make him go away, say goodbye to him because if she doesn't, they win. Perhaps Vaughn is the only person who knows the whereabouts of the Horizon and as long as P5 doesn't know where it is, Sydney is safe. This also leads me to believe the piece is Rambaldi related (along with the SD-6 references and of course, the return of Irina.) Vaughn has always shown concern for Sydney in regards to the prophecies of Rambaldi. He begged Sydney to give up the search for Nadia, in fear that Nadia would harm her. He also offered to destroy the discs that opened the Rambaldi box, which he believed would also be of danger to Sydney.

Let me add that Vaughn in all of these “memories” is NOT Vaughn, he is Sydney’s subconscious. As Paul so cleverly pointed out in the comments, there are two Sydney’s in all of these scenes. One Sydney misses Vaughn and wants to be with him and the other is the Sydney that knows she is under hypnosis and that P5 is looking for something. Everything that Vaughn says is actually Sydney trying to tell herself to let Vaughn go because she knows they are using him against her.

Aside from the obvious callbacks, I found some similar storylines. Sydney gives the wrong information to P5, much like Nadia, who gave the Covenant the wrong location to the Rambaldi dig site in season 3. Jack and Renee stumble upon a makeshift nursery, which reminded me of Jack's psych-eval hypnosis dream from season 1, in which he sees a young Irina holding a baby and then Irina transforms into Sydney. Not sure if there is any connection, but it was a flashback for me.

IRINA! I couldn't even believe it! I nearly jumped out of my seat! There was no indication! Yes, it makes sense that she would want to protect the baby and is invested in Sydney's future, but there was no word Lena Olin at even returned to the set! Thank goodness she's back. Is she good? Is she bad? Is she good pretending to be bad? She is so good at that. She tells Peyton "Now my associates have the location of the Horizon." Who are her associates? Why did they have to get the information from Sydney? Does an SD-6 map no longer exist? What is the tie to SD-6? If she is a leader of P5 (maybe with SpySis Katya) then why hasn't she cured Nadia? Why does she need Sloane? (Man, Sloane and Jack are getting kicked by the Derevko woman! Pansies!)

DeSantis kicked the bucket, after being shot and losing an ear. That was hilarious, well, in a morbid, sick sorta way. Jack pulled out that knife and I was like, ooh sharp knife. Then he slices the old doc's ear off! Hahaha! Gosh, hard life- kept in a box for 20 years, shot, cut and shot again. Hmm, Rambaldi just doesn't seem worth it to me. More people lose their lives than are promised eternal life.

Tid bit- Thomas Grace was married??? What do you suppose was the significance of this little reveal? Could it be someone we know??? Lauren? hehehe! I love Alias!

I don't even know what else to say, other than the episode ROCKED!! So much information, so much going on, the return of old characters, the opening of old wounds. THIS IS WHY I BLOG PEOPLE! It was magnificent! Bravo writers! You roped us right back in and now we have to wait, tick tock, tick tock...2 months and counting...anyone else need a drink, a stiff one?

PS. VAUGHN IS SOOOOO NOT DEAD!

27 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow!! Great analysis! I Loved this episode as well - it seemed so like the Alias of Old! With all the recall of past scenes, it would have to though. I just KNEW it was Irina behind the window - not sure why, but it just figured. For just a few I thought it might actually be Jack... The nursery - I too recalled the scene where he is in Psych-eval and sees Syd as Irina! Cool - wonder if the writers intended us to have that recall?

I have lots else I want to say, but I haven't processed it yet! I look forward to everyone's input on this one! It was a biggie - gives me great hope for the last episodes!! It felt like they were preparing us to get to the bottom of a few things - probably not all, some mysteries will likely never be revealed!!

Paul Kremer said...

I was going to wait until you posted before I commented on my blog, GirlScout, but I couldn't wait!!! Alas, no comments, everyone was waiting for your analysis, and as well they should have! It's great! hehe! :)

I have 2 quick comments about your post,

1) I don't believe anything Vaughn had to say last night gives us an indication as to whether or not he is alive. This is all in Sydney's psyche. Remember, she instantly realized on the plane what was happening, and her inner psyche started a battle inside her head. The "Sydney" emotional side of her psyche misses Vaughn terribly, and just wants to be with him, but the "Vaughn" LOGICAL side of her psyche realizes that this isn't real and that it is a manipulation. Yes, Vaughn keeps telling Sydney he needs to go away, but in reality, it is Sydney herself realizing that she needs to resist staying with Vaughn in the trance. How deep was this episode???

2) I noticed they didn't actually SHOW Desantis being shot...while it is reasonable to assume that he is now dead, in the world of ALIAS, it was strange not to see the bullet go through his head, don't you think?

SRM said...

Cardio-Alias indeed, ok this new timeslot is not working for me cuz my bedtime is 11:00 and I just lay there trying to process everything with my heart racing!! That was an awesome episode, I loved all the flashbacks to the early seasons and moments between Syd and Vaughn, her first realizing Vaughn cared for her by the ferris wheel, back to their secret meeting place when she was a double agent, etc. I have to say I've never been so happy to have been proven wrong, I thought there was no way Irena would kidnap, torture, and use her daughter's emotions against her, GUESS I WAS WRONG!! It was SO good to see Irena's face reflected in that glass, it was like the comfort of an old friend combined with the HOLY SH*T factor of the surprise, I'm so glad they were able to keep that a secret. I agree Vaughn is totally alive and in hiding. I've believed that ever since the first episode and now I think we have some good proof. Especially when the doctor was instructing Syd on giving Vaughn the drink slowly, not to drink it too fast, prob so he wouldn't be knocked out instantly. The ending showing Syd on a barge somewhere in the middle of nowhere was a tad bit anti-climactic for me, but there was enough good stuff throughout the show to keep me happy. I think I actually had a dream about it all last night, I really shouldn't watch it and try to go to bed right away, it just doesn't work! :)

Girlscout said...

Yes, Ivan Curtis told Sydney "even if I told you, you wouldn't believe me." So, with SD-6 stuff coming back and Covenant stuff, we could see Will coming back, as he did tons of research on it and Francie too. YAHOO!

M said...

A few comments:

1. I don't think Jack was in it from the beginning because of how shocked he was to see the nursury.

2. Does this mean that DeSantis & Derevko were in cahoots? If so, and DeSantis is "in" Rene's father's body, does this mean that Rene is somehow tied back to Irena (remember the photo of the mysterious cousin that was shown to Nadia last season!)

3. Anyone curious as to why Sydney had to be tortured by Irena? Don't you think that if she came to Sydney and gave ANY good reason, Sydney would have voluntarily given her any information she could? (Including being hypnotized, a la Will in Season 2, when he was hypnotized to get the names on the list while he was kidnapped by Sark?)

4. I think that Grace must have been married to somebody we know... the one that immediately came to mind was Lauren.

5. I totally agree with both points that PKRM made (I actually just made them to my coworker during a coffee break!) That wasn't Vaughn talking - that was Sydney. And terrific point about not seeing DeSantis shot - if Rene thinks that any part of her father is still alive, and may need that body, then I don't think she would kill him.

I have a million more thoughts, but thought these were the most post-worthy!!

SRM said...

These are all awesome thoughts people!! As for Jack, I don't think he helped w/ Syd's kidnapping, 1 because if he was then he'd have no reason to torture DeSantis, and 2 because of how surprised he was to see the nursery like m said. BUT, if it wasn't him, then how did P5 know where to find Syd? Smells like an APO mole to me...

Girlscout said...

Right, it was not Vaughn talking, it was Sydney's conscious. And yes, LAUREN came to my mind too!! And I can't figure out why exactly Irina just wouldn't ask Sydney for the info. I suppose we will find out!

Unknown said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm watching Alias right now and I just screamed so loud I'm pretty sure the neighbors are going to come and see if I'm ok. IRINA!!!! I had to pause it and post this comment... More later... Let me scream again.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

SRM said...

LOL birdie!! :)

Unknown said...

Seriously... holy cow. I'm just sitting here trying to process. OK, thoughts:
1) There was a reference to Irina right at the beginning. In Syd's hypnotic state she said her mother didn't leave her the best example. I thought, hmm... ok.
2) Loved the parts where they took us back to old places from old seasons. The pier, the plane, etc.
3) Totally shocked when Jack cut off that guys ear. Well, not too shocked, 'cause it's Jack. But still, hello!
4) IRINA!!!!!!!! I think I might have screamed twice. I totally think that it was Irina who was leaving on that helicopter. I think she and Jack are working together, like GS said in her original post. I think Irina is good, pretending to be bad. Remember she had to shoot Syd in S1, so torture isn't beyond her. Esp since she made sure it wouldn't hurt the baby.
5) What the dilly with the nursery set up? Very confused. Maybe Irina set it up with plans to bring Syd back there and have her have the baby and whatnot. Remember, wherever it is that Jack and Rene are is at the place that was on Desantis calendar ON Syd's due date.
6) Wow. I need to watch it again....

Paul Kremer said...

You're not alone birdie! I didn't scream, but I DID just about fall off the couch. I LOVE how they revealed Irina with the reflection in the glass! CLASSIC ALIAS!

Just in case anyone is wondering (you're probably not, but just in case, hehe), this is Paul! Yes, I finally signed up so that I looked like I existed with a profile and even a blog I am working on! Not trying to steal GirlScout's thunder, she still rules the ALIAS blog world! Just my own creative juices flowing...:)

If any want to check it out, it's at http://pkrm.blogspot.com/ I've got a couple articles posted, with more on the way, and of course I'll still be on here to discuss GirlScout's great ideas!!!

Girlscout said...

Irina had Jack get rid of DeSantis. We was in the way, much like Kassinau. Remember, Irina shot him... They just get rid of the people in their way. I gasped and held my chest when Irina appeared. It was a total "Will-seeing-Syd-in-her-Alias" gasp!

Unknown said...

Yep, totally with you, Steph Bristow. There is NO WAY Irina would harm Sydney. No way. Even though it looks bad and evil, I think it's for her good.

Oh, and still think Rene is somehow related to someone. Vaughn, Syd... Something. Speaking of Vaughn, he's so not dead

Anonymous said...

About Irina hurting Syd: Remember near the final episodes in S4, Jack says that he forgot one thing that he knows to be true. Syd replies something along the lines of: yeah, what's that? Jack then replies that he knows that Irina would never hurt Syd. So with this I believe that Irina's purpose isn't to hurt Syd. I believe that it backs up all of those who agree that Irina is playing the bad-image to gain the good some ground.

Girlscout said...

Nice Rudy! I agree! She loves Sydney and Nadia. There must be some reason for Nadia to stay sick, in her coma. Irina must have a motive for that.

Girlscout said...

Someone mentioned the idea of Renee being the niece in the old photo of Irina that Sydney had and gave to Nadia. Purhaps Renee is Katya's daughter??

Unknown said...

Dignan-- March 1st is the next epsiode. Totally stinks, but... I'm hoping since this last episode was amazing that the final ones will not disappoint either. I saw the preview for next time too on AOL. I think someone is about to go into labor! And what do you think of the last scene with Jack and Marshall? I will have to watch it again, but wow, it looked good!

SRM said...

ooo I just watched the preview too, go preggo Syd kicking ass!! :) That last scene looks interesting, like Marshal recognizes the system he's in but doesn't believe it?

SRM said...

that's what I was thinking too dignan! Either that or he sees that it has a connection to Irena...

Unknown said...

Wow, Jenn. Amazing theory. Now wouldn't THAT be crazy?!?! All this time APO is really evil and we thought it was good. Jack and Marshall both looked completely dumbfounded at whatever they were looking at. So wow... good theory. Poor Girlscout... Look at all we're discussing without her. :) She's like our... blog mother, and she left her kids alone in the house for a weekend. Hee hee...

Anyway, one more thing--- I rewatched the part with Irina twice. She said to Peyton, "I'll let my associates know I've discovered the location of the Horizon. I'll be back in a few days. Until then, keep her comfortable." Now, the whole time, Peyton almost looks... scared of Irina. Or intimidated. And Irina gives her a "Do you hear me?" kind of look as she leaves. Anyone else catch that?

Anonymous said...

In response to the AOL clip and birdietwoshoes: If APO is evil, then why would they leave all of the good guys to run it? Yes, one could argue that Sloane was running it in season four and that Sloane and Jack was up to something. But the look on Jack's face seems to scream that he didn't know what in the world he and Marshall stumpled upon.

Desiree said...

I think that we have not discussed an extremely important piece of information that we got last night. Syd now knows what P5 was looking for on the SD6 map. She gave them the wrong name but she knows the right name. I hope that we will get to see where that place is and what it has to offer. If anyone recorded the epi go back to see where it is on the map and see if they can get any info to post. I LOVED THE EPISODE LAST NIGHT!!!! I HAVE GOOSE BUMPS JUST REMEMBERING IT. I LOVE VAUGHN. He is yummy. I think I like him the way girlscout likes sark. Heehee.(girlish giggle)

SRM said...

I don't know...personally I'd be irritated if APO turned out to be "bad", it just would seem really repetitive to me. I doubt it is just because we've seen them go to in s4 Director Chase and we know she's CIA. I mean anything is possible, it's Alias right? :) Just my opinion, though, it was enough that they repeated the "rouge" agency w/ Rachel, w/ APO I think it would be a little much.

SRM said...

woops, "rogue agency", not rouge...not talking about blush. ;-)

Jess said...

Just a thought but back the beginning of season 4 when Sloane was explaining how he was chosen to head up APO and he said that the CIA wanted "their own SD6" Don't know that this really means anything but I thought it was interesting seeing the way this theory seems to be going

SRM said...

good point Jess

amy said...

whew....those comments were LONG and it took me forever to get through them all - very fun!!

in my opinion jack seemed a little too desparate and upset about the whole baby-nursery find and the whole kidnapping in general for him to have been in on it (but of course it could have just been his super-stealth spy-daddy behavior)

is irina on the boat with syd? do we know this? did she fly away in the helicopter?

ooohh if grace was married to lauren that would be such an interesting twist....but since she's dead and vaughn is "AWAY" i can't see it being too much of a storyline...though does anyone really "die" on this show? i am leery of them bringing lauren back for any reason because there is already SO much that needs to be cleared up by the series ending! who knows, she might be a key player though....AAAAA the confusion that is ALIAS!

i will be really surprised if irina intends evil for syd - i really think she loves her and whatever the endgame here is will be for syd's own benefit (not sure how the writers will accomplish this one...)or at the very least not harmful to syd or baby...

as for irina just "asking" syd, i think that even though they have gotten closer irina has to be careful about that (remember she has always blackmailed or manipulated syd for info rather than just ask, the trust isn't THAT huge especially in light of the possible involvement of vaughn and the baby, making syd even more likely not to blindly hand over info)

PLEASE do not let syd be sloane's daughter...i don't think this is the case but at all but it was speculated and all i can say is PLEASE NO!!!!

nice theories everyone...can't wait for march to see what happens!!!